Recent Posts

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Orange Blossom Water

Breakfast this beautiful sun drenched  Saturday morning.
We experimented with orange blossom water, adding it to our whipped cream for our pancakes. It was lovely and floral and fresh. Looking forward to some puddings with a bit of this added. Love trying new to us things.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Work Pants from Wearing History's Overall Pattern

I've made myself work overalls using this fantastic pattern from Wearing History.

I used a stretchy heavy weight denim that washes up great. I elongated the pockets an inch to fit my pens and phone.

I sectioned off one pocket to hold my work knife.

I also added some fancy lining to the waist band and pockets. I love this pattern. Both the overalls and the pants are roomy where I need them to be but still maintain that retro feel I love so much. Someone recently asked me why I make my work pants instead of just buying them like every one else at work. The only answer I could come up with was, "Because I can." What would you have answered?

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Hot Chocolate Rolls

We got everything ready to make cinnamon rolls the other evening. We didn't notice until it was too late that we were out of cinnamon. We used Hot Chocolate mix and a variety of chocolate chips instead. I think this accident will be an on purpose recipe pretty often around here in the future.

Do you have a favorite family recipe accident?

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Workin' It

Hope you've all had a cozy Valentines Day.We're in the midst of a spectacularly frigid winter storm front. Twice in the past two weeks the snow on the roads was deeper than the snow in our driveways. (Yup.. that's right! Bought a house with TWO driveways to shovel) 
We've got our heads down and we're cuddled in and ready for Family Day tomorrow. I've been working away on projects and eating some delicious noodle bowls to keep myself toasty. 
How do you folks get through the wicked winter weekends?

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Mini Skeins.

I got these beauties from Xrayann's shop and can NOT wait until I get the ribbing done on the bottom of my squirrel fair aisle vest! Knitting with fine wool gives such a pretty end product, 


It takes forever to see any progress. I'm so excited to get to the actual pattern work in this piece. These mini skeins are so soft and deliciously dyed, they're all I can think about!

Send me patience.

Friday, January 30, 2015

WAY Too Much Cute!

The cute is ridiculous!

Can't wait to see what's next on the Lily Happy Baby Growth Calender.
(That's a real thing,right?)

Also. This little guy tried to kill me.I don't know his formal name. He was marked Red Thai Chili. Looks teensie and innocent? Contains the fires of HELL!!!! 

All of the fires!!! 

Soooooo hot!

What do you folks do with unbelievably hot peppers?

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Trimming Grandpa Jimmy

This is one of the silliest things we've done in a long time.I had to share.

Love this guy heaps! He's the only one who gets my jokes every time.

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Keeping Cozy

We Canadians are really good at cuddling in for the winter. That's exactly what we've been doing around our end of the woods.

Mom's been keeping us in flowers to keep us all cheerful.

I've been learning new knitting skills.

Potato mash, cod and cheddar spread is being had.

Even more socks are being knit.These are for our Mercy.

I've been making scratch Bennie for lunch.

It's been a great winter!

Friday, January 16, 2015

Squirrel Progress

There is progress, but it's very slow. I tested up the squirrel grid for my fair aisle vest in some worsted weight acrylic so see how it looks in the real world. I think it'll do just fine. I've sent away for the colour wool for the actual vest and am waiting patiently for it's arrival. I'm working the vest in fingering weight yarn and it's taking FOREVER!!!! Most of the materials I work in are fast finish deals, but this teensy yarn width takes an excruciatingly long time to work up anything bigger than a sock.

So I'll try to stay patient until I can finish it up and wear it.
I must admit I really am enjoying the idea of creating my own unique kitschy vintage vests. Who knows what's next....... maybe dragons?

Sunday, January 4, 2015

A Fair Aisle Squirrel Grid

We had a seriously terrific 2014. Mercedes moved back to our home province after two excruciating (for us, not her) years across the country. We had the best vacation EVER to a castle in France. Maggie and Austin gave us our grand baby Lily. (Still can't believe she's here!) and I have a very successful operation that ended ten years of pain. Here's hoping your slipping into 2015 with as much happiness and comfort as we are experiencing. I really don't know how the new year will ever hold up to the last.

Here's a bit of what we've been up to.

Loads of cuddle time and knitting. I'm working up some squirrel and acorn fair aisle vest grids. I'm using my STAEDTLER ergo soft pencil crayons to get some colour ideas. More on that later.

Lily is growing like a bad weed. It's all I can to to keep her in slippers!

The latest Lily foot coverings are plain old granny slippers with pomp poms.