Monday, February 28, 2011

Magical Mushroom Dress from Simplicity 9557

OK... so I realize that sometimes I have a tendency to go a bit too far. Maybe I should have stopped at Mr. Jimmy's shirt? I couldn't the fabric is just too darn cool not to keep going. So, how far over the top should I go?

I used an old pattern I've used several times to make myself a mushroom dress.

Simplicity's 9557 is a pretty quick sew. Much easier than say.... a man's shirt.
I altered it a bit. I can't seem to resist the urge to make these things my own.

I added pockets again. I liked the way the elastic top pockets worked on the last dress so I included them here in contrasting mushrooms. You should be able to see the basic shape and size of the pocketty goodness in this shot. They're so easy to make.

Here are the pockets all installed and ready to use.

I also added a band of mustard contrasting fabric around the sleeve. I think I may have made it too long and will probably alter it to make it shorter.

Here is the almost finished dress. I still need to put in the back zipper. I think it might need some green tape around the waist with maybe two little bows placed at the darts. And I think I will shorten the sleeve trim a bit. I'll let you know how it goes.

*Added some alterations*
Slightly altered. I shortened the sleeve cuffs, added the waist band and the bows at the skirt darts. I like it a bunch better now. Just need a zipper and we can go out in style.

Mr. Jimmy's Magical Shirt from Simplicity 4760.

Picked up this ridiculous (ranunculus) at the grocery store. It's pretty much my very favorite flower. I really like the layers and layers of ultra soft petals. Wish I had better luck growing them here.

I finally used the great mushroom fabric I got from Hootcouture . I used the Simplicity pattern # 4760 to make Mr. Jimmy's retroish shirt. I had to alter it quite a bit to make it work. We went with shirt B, the short sleeve with a front bib in yellow on the cover.

I added mushroom fabric all over this shirt according to the wishes of a certain manfolk. I added it to the top collar and bib. I had to make a back bib to match and we cuffed the sleeves and the pockets.

We picked the contrasting fabric out together and drove the ladies at Fabric and crazy for an hour while we decided. We have fun there! It's like a date day for us.
(We really do have to get out more!)

Here it is all finished. I didn't put a tag in this one. His shirts usually have a little tag in the back that say "a Mr. Jimmy Original". Maybe I'll add it later......
I still have scads of both fabrics for a project for me later. Can't wait to get started!

Here is Mr. Jimmy being blurry and really showing some appreciation for his magical shirt. I think he likes it!