Friday, October 13, 2017

Bird Skull Jewlery

I sculpted some bird skulls to make molds of for different projects.
I used Fimo effects night glow and Fimo professional 02 in equal parts to sculpt the originals and to cast the reproductions.

This little skull has been coloured because the brush I used to finish off the sculpt had a bit of powdered pigment in it.


I made the simplest of shapes for the skulls. Not too detailed or undercut so that the raw castings would be easier to work with.


After I baked the original sculpts, I mixed up some EasyMold two part mold making medium together as directed until I had a consistent colour throughout. I then made two balls of mold making medium (one for each piece) and pushed the soft balls gently over and around the bird skulls. I waited about an hour before I unmolded the originals, and another two hours before I cast some copies. 


Here is a batch fresh out of the oven. I let them cool and then used some STAEDTLER acrylic paint to add some detail and age to the skulls and let them dry.


These sure are fun to play with. I didn't want to stop! 

I was falling asleep at my work station until George came to remind me that I should probably go to bed.


I think I liked these pieces the most! With their blood red crystal drop beads.


This was the most simple design. Very wearable I hope.


A wee bit of milk glass and a frosty tear drop crystal to finish this one off.


This piece took the longest and uses the most dear supplies. That bottom lace is soooooooo old! I sewed it to some modern lace ribbon and ironed it flat before adding all the drops and features.


I made a few more too. Mostly kind of like this guy in various lengths. I still have the second mold to play with. This one stays in my polymer clay studio though. 
I cast a batch for my oldest to take home with her when she was up. 
I can't wait to see what she does with them!
I'll be back soon with more experiments!
Happy October!


No comments: