Sunday, November 27, 2011

Bacon Roses

Here is the method I used to make the bacon roses for the top Of Mr. Jimmy's Meat Cake!!!!


Bacon pretty much does make everything taste better and now that I've kicked that pesky gall bladder to the curb, I can pretty much indulge in whatever strikes my fancy.

Does this cake make me look fat?


All you need to make these delicious roses are regular cut bacon strips and toothpicks.


Roll up a strip of bacon.



Stick two toothpicks into the meaty end in a cross pattern as shown. You want the fatty bit to be the top of the rose so the fat cooks off and the rose kind of blooms a bit. You'll see why. If you put the fatty part to the bottom it won't crisp up.



Stand the rose up so it sits on the end the toothpicks are in and roll the edges of the bacon down so they curl. It spreads the little guys out a bit more if you give it a gentle press when your done turning the edge.


Place them on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake them low and slow. I put mine in at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes. I made these before my meat cake and reheated them for serving.

No comments: