Sunday, August 16, 2015

STAEDTLER Lily Fairy Doll Make

I made up a Lily Fairy doll so I could send the instructions out to the contest winners, but decided to post them here so you could all see how easy (and fun) it is to create a doll using this fantastic STAEDTLER mold.

I changed the feet included in the mold because I wanted my doll to have curled, striped stockings on.


The legs were a worm of clay that I tapered at one end and then bent knees and heels into. I curled the toes up too.


I conditioned two half blocks of STAEDTLER Fimo professional (12 half blocks are included in the Lily kit!) I sprayed my flexible Lily mold with a fine misting of water (the water helps the clay come out of the mold) and formed a cone out of the conditioned clay. I pushed the cones of clay into the mold sections with the pointy side in first. This way the tiny parts of the mold detail (like the nose and lips) are filled up without any creases. I filled the arms by making a worm of clay that just fit into the arm mold. I made a hole at the end if each arm and leg, the shoulders where the arms meat the arms and the bottom of the chest piece.


I cut the top of the neck on the chest piece and the bottom of the neck on the head piece flat so they would fit together easily. Then I used my finger tips to smooth the clay seam where the two pieces meet.


I added simple tear drop ears to my doll. I baked all the pieces on a parchment lined baking sheet in a preheated 260 degree oven for twenty minutes and allowed them to cool before painting.


I used a micro mini detail brush from Heinz Jordan to paint the face onto my doll. These are just acrylic craft paints.


I also used acrylic craft paints to paint striped stockings onto the legs of my doll.


After the paint dried, I made wire armature parts to connect the dolls bits together. I used hot glue to glue the wires into the holes.


Quilt batting cut into one cm strips worked to pad the wire areas out a bit. I used hot glue to secure this also.


I used some hot glue to stick on some mohair and form a wig of sorts. Be very careful with the hot glue. Protect your fingers! I styled it a bit after the glue dried by giving her some bangs and side braids.


I made a pair of mini bloomers to cover the quilt batting area of the doll. I also fabritac glued a bodice of lace strips and satin ribbon straps to the doll.I couldn't resist making some teensy bows to decorate her dress and hair.

Here is the basic bloomer pattern. Add a half inch to the top and bottom edges for folding under. To scale the pattern to your doll, the measurement for the waist edge should be the total measurement around your dolls waist. (This will make the bloomer total waist measurement be roughly four times the waist measurement minus seam allowances. More than enough to gather for a poofy bloomer.)


I gathered up two pieces of tulle measuring 20 cm X 7 cm with a running stitch right down the middle of the length of the tulle. I gathered these pieces to fit around the dolls waist and stitched them into place.

Don't forget to visit the STAEDTLER SUMMER GIVEAWAY post and follow the instructions to enter!!!

7 comments:

Lindsey said...

Love it! The cute toes and pointed ears gorgeous. I love the striped tights too. xx

Wanda Hutton said...

Where can I find the mold? I would love to make some of them

Kellie Mowat said...

Hi Wanda!
Please send me an email via my contact page and I'll make sure you get your very own mold. But I warn you,they are addictive!

Unknown said...

I can not find lovely Lily in any store. The Staedtler site does not offer it either. Would you know whom I may get it from? Is it possible it's not available in the United States? I would gladly purchase her even outside the states but I have no clue as to where to look.
Your creations, tutorials and your site are wonderful. I have only just found Pinterest and I am hooked! Nice to know there are other people out there as crazy as I am.
Blessings
Kathy

Kellie Mowat said...

Hello Kathy!!!

I'm going to need you to go to my contact page and email me your mailing address!
:D

Karen Vaage said...

Almost finished my Lily mold doll. I changed her up a bit and tweeked the instructions. I'll send you a picture of her completed soon. Excited to show you

Kellie Mowat said...

I can't wait to see her!