Wednesday, August 27, 2014

September/October PolymerCafe Cover!

We've been honored with another PolymerCafe cover!
This tutorial was a heap of fun. I included three separate techniques to create a traditional scrimshaw look pendant. You choose the technique that fits with the tools you have in your craft stash.
There are also some other shapes included. I just couldn't stop!

Grab your copy while it's hot by clicking 

I used STAEDTLER Fimo Effect and Soft clays to create the base for these pieces. The exact colours and layering techniques are listed in great detail in this September/October issue of PolymerCafe.


I had a bunch of fun photographing these guys.Thought it might be interesting to some of you to see how many different stagings I used. These are not all of the examples, just my favorite ones.

With a mariners poem.


In a mirror on a beach.
(The "beach" was really a tray of sand and some drift wood in front of a P.E.I. vacation photo on my front porch)


With a poetry book and mirror.


On an old leather trunk.


More driftwood.

I'm so grateful for digital photography and editing programs.I grew up in a world of very expensive film developing. We took very few pictures because each one had to count. I always feel very extravagant when I use my digital camera. I tend to take hundreds of photographs for every project I post. It's amazing to me just how fast technology has advanced. We're amazingly lucky to be around to witness all this amazing change.

Speaking of a heap of photographs......
I'll be back with more France soon!



2 comments:

Chark said...

Congrats! love the look of this!

Kellie Mowat said...

Thanks so much!

It was hard to stop making these!
I wanted to keep trying different shapes and sizes.